Research, Evaluation, and Scholarship
- Crisco, V., & Porterfield, A. (2023). Embedding learning goals into secondary literacy curriculum: Assessing and implementing teachers' feedback. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 66, 229–238. https://doi.org/10.1002/jaal.1271
- Jaquet, K., Fong, A., Reade, F., Chen-Gaddini, M., Skoldhorne, S., & Zhu, N. (2022). Evaluation of the Expository Reading and Writing Curriculum with Respect to English Language Development. WestEd.
- Fong, A., Porterfield, A., Skjoldhorne, S., & Hadley, L. (2022). Expanding the Expository Reading and Writing Curriculum: An Evaluation of an Investing in Innovation Validation Grant. WestEd. https://www.wested.org/resources/expanding-the-erwc-evaluation/
- Brynelson, N., J. Fletcher, and N. Graff. (2019). From high school curriculum to literacy network: Transforming high school English Teaching in California. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 62, 681-685.
- Boulay, B., Goodson, B., Olsen, R., McCormick, R., Darrow, C., Frye, M., Gan, K., Harvill, H., & Sarna, M. (2018). The Investing in Innovation Fund: Summary of 67 Evaluations: Final Report (NCEE 2018-4013). Washington, DC: National Center for Education Evaluation and Regional Assistance, Institute of Education Sciences, U.S. Department of Education. https://ies.ed.gov/ncee/pubs/20184013/pdf/20184013.pdf [See pages A-23-24, C-4, D-10, and H-3.]
- Gregory, Nicole (2018). "How Do You Create A Critical Thinker? An Innovative Reading and Writing Curriculum at the CSU Has Changed How English Teachers Prepare Students for College." The California State University: News. https://www2.calstate.edu/csu-system/news/Pages/How-Do-You-Create-a-Critical-Thinker.aspx
- Sparks, Sarah D. (2018). "Innovation Grants Yield Some Clear Winners, Lessons to Learn: Just Nine Clear Winners Emerge from R&D Effort." Education Week, 37(36), 6. https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2018/06/20/innovation-grants-yield-some-clear-winners-lessons.html
- Katz, M.L., Brynelson, N., and Edlund, J.R. (2013). “Enacting Rhetorical Literacies: The Expository Reading and Writing Curriculum in Theory and Practice.” Commissioned Chapter about the ERWC for the 6th Edition of Theoretical Models and Processes of Reading, D. Alvermann, N. Unrau and R. Ruddell (Eds.). Newark, DE: International Reading Association (pp. 978-1014).
- Graff, Nelson. “Teaching Rhetorical Analysis to Promote Transfer of Learning.” Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy 53.5 (2010): 376–385.
- Hafner, Anne, Rebecca Joseph, and Jennifer McCormick. “College readiness for all: Assessing the impact of English professional Development on teaching practice and student learning.” Journal of Urban Learning, Teaching and Research 2.3 (2010): 23-45.
- Hafner, A. L., Joseph, R., & St. Germain, M. (2010). Assessing the impact of English professional development on teaching practices, student learning, and readiness for college: An evaluation of the Expository Reading and Writing Course, FIPSE. Los Angeles, CA: California State University, Los Angeles.
- Rowlands, Kathleen Dudden and Jennifer Fletcher. "Reconcilable Differences." California English 15.3 (2010): 28-31.
- Bernasconi, Loretta. “The Jewels of ERWC Instruction.” California English 14.1 (2008): 16-18.
- Brynelson, Nancy. (Provided data) “High School to Community College New Efforts to Build Shared Expectations.” Ed Source Nov. (2008): 1-24.
- Cline, Zulmara, Kim Flachmann, and Chris Street. “Reading, writing, and ready!” Leadership 37.5 (2008): 25-27.
- Edlund, John. “Using the ERWC Assignment Template.” California English 14.1 (2008): 6.
- Fletcher, Jennifer and Marcy Merrill. “Rhetoric Rising: New Directions in Teaching High School English.” California English 14.1 (2008): 12-14.
- Program Evaluation and Research Collaborative. (2008). Evaluating the impact or reading and writing professional development on student reading and writing outcomes: Evaluation report. Los Angeles, CA: California State University, Los Angeles.
- Street, Chris, Marcy Merrill, Jennifer Fletcher, Mira-Lisa Katz and Zulmara Cline. “The Expository Reading and Writing Curriculum (ERWC): Preparing All Students for College and Career.” The California Reader 42.1 (2008): 34-41.
- Brynelson, Nancy. Updates on the Early Assessment Program. CISC Newsletter: ELA Updates 1.6 (2007): 1-2.
- Cline, Zulmara and Bissell Joan. “Joint Project aims to send K-12 students to college prepared” EdCal (2007): 5.
- Cline, Zulmara, Joan Bissell, Anne Hafner, and Mira-Lisa Katz. “Closing the College Readiness Gap.” Leadership 37.2 (2007): 30-33.
- CSU Chancellor’s Office Staff. “Handbook focuses on early college assessment program” EdCal Education California 27.20 (2007): 1.
- Fletcher, Jennifer, and Marcy Merrill. “Reaping the Rewards: Two Views of the Early Assessment Program.” California English 13.1 (2007): 26-28.